Here are some of my favorite quotes by people who made made a living in the great outdoors (fictional or nonfictional).
"One must labor for beauty as for bread, here as elsewhere"
- John Muir, The Yosemite: a Wonderful Ascent
"The different species are arranged in zones and sections... and so appreciable are these relations the traveler need never be at a loss in determining within a few hundred feet his elevation above sea-level by the trees alone."
- John Muir, The Yosemite: The Forest Trees in General
"You never know how steep something is until you rub noses with it."
- Bear Grylls, Man vs. Wild
"I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. 'Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.' 'Mother Gue', I says, 'the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world,' and by God, I was right."
- Del Gue, from the movie Jeremiah Johnson
"There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."
- John "Lofty" Wiseman, SAS: Survival Handbook